in the MEDIA
ANIMALAND / Alan Dorin
- Prestup - Life Magazine, interview by Jasmina Maric, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro, April 2006
- Pixel / Creation Numerique (magazine), interview by Alain Lioret, France, September 2006
COMPUTERS, PHILOSOPHY and ART
- The Age, interview by Patricia Maunder, Livewire, Personal Space, Green Guide, p. 23, 30 August 2007
STRUCTURES, STRICTURES & STUDENTS
- realtime + onscreen, expert commentary (for Melinda Rackham), Challenge and change in media arts education, RT110, pp. 22 & 24, August-September 2012
ARTFICIAL LIFE IN THE ANCIENT WORLD
- The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald, interview by Deb Anderson, Was there artificial life in the ancient world?, "Ask an Expert", The Age, Higher Education supplement online (and header in print, p. 12), August 28, 2012
- Monash University news, by Shana Stewart, Technology alive and well in the ancient world, 17 August 2012
- The Conversation, Matt de Kneef (ed.), We are the creators of artificial life - both now and through the ages, 11 September 2012
- Machines Like Us: Science News at the Speed of Thought, (lifted from The Conversation) We are the creators of artificial life - both now and through the ages, 11 September 2012
EUREKA PRIZE national science award
McCormack J., McIlwain P., Lane A., Dorin A., Eureka-Museums Australia-Google Prize for Innovation in Computer Science, 28 August 2012
- ABC Science (by Dani Cooper), Eurekas reward patience and ingenuity, News In Science, 29 August 2012
- Australian Museums/Eureka (by Australian Museum), Music software a perfect composition, 28 August 2012
- Monash University news (by Emily Walker), Two Eureka moments for Monash Researchers, 29 August 2012
- Sydney Morning Herald, (anonymous listing) Eureka Prize winners, 29 August 2012
- Cosmos magazine (by Jacqui Hayes), Eureka awards celebrate top Aussie Science, 28 August 2012
- Monash University Memo (by Emily Walker), Eureka! Awards success for Monash researchers, 5 September 2012
- Monash Research Bulletin (by Monash Research Office), 2012 Australian Museum Eureka Prizes, No. 53, 10 September 2012
THE HISTORY OF SCIENCE, MATHEMATICS, PHILOSOPHY and TECHNOLOGY lecture series
Dorin A. (chair/organiser), Faculty of Information Technology, Monash University, 22 August - 7 November, 2012
- Issues Magazine, Sally Woollett (ed.), Models of Life: a Brief History, (article by Alan Dorin), August 2014.
ARTIFICIAL LIFE, Art and Creativity special journal issue
- The Australian (Section: Business Review), Scientists aim to be the bee in pollination trial, Jennifer Foreshew, 17 November 2015.
- Elsevier, How citizen science is helping solve conservation problems, E. Ellwood, July 2017.
- PODCAST host, How is AI, data and technology used in crime and what can we do about it?, speaking to Prof. Liz Campbell, A/Prof. Asher Flynn, Dr. Campbell Wilson, Aug 2019.
- Video: Monash Futurist - Inside AI, Can virtual bees help feed the world?, Feb 2020.
- Video/Webinar: AI and Data Science for Sustainable Development, AI and Machine Learning for Predicting Species Responses to Global Change, Presented by R. Tingley and A. Dorin (starts 00:32:48) Oct 2020.
- Tracking Honey Bees with Machine Vision and Artificial Intelligence, M. Ratnayake and A. Dorin, The Central Association of Bee-Keepers, UK, 14 Feb 2022
- Queen Elizabeth – the science lover born in the technology age, Jacinta Bowler, background provided by A. Dorin, COSMOS magazine, Sept 2022.
- Precision Pollination of berry crops is not a pipedream, A. Dorin with J. Cook, R. Rader, H. Parry, Australian Berry Journal, edition 12, Spring, Sept 2022.
POLLINATION, ROBO-BEES (selected)
- Good Impact magazine (Germany), Cyber-Blümchensex, Miriam Petzold interviewer/journalist, #02/2023, p52-58
- Raspberry Pi, Pi-powered pollination monitors support farming in Australia, Ashley Whittaker (writer), 31 Jan 2023
- The Conversation, AI can track bees on camera. Here’s how that will help farmers, M Ratnayake, AG Dyer, A Dorin, 16 Feb 2023
- ABC South Australia and Broken Hill regional drive radio, Farming with AI optimising pollination for better food production, Narelle Graham (interviewer), 23 Feb 2023
- News Daily, Bee populations are shrinking, but the buzz about robot bees to the rescue is premature, John Elder (journalist), 4 Mar 2023
- ABC Hobart breakfast radio, The problem with robo-bees, Mel Bush (interviewer), 7 Mar 2023 (1:46:20 - 1:55:36 sec)
- Cosmos magazine, How AI can be used to track pollinators in strawberry crops, Matthew Cawood (journalist), 10 Apr 2023
- 3RRR Radio - The Grapevine, AI, farming and bee tracking, Oslo Davis (presenter), 22 May 2023
- ABC Radio National - Future Tense, Working at bee-level to improve pollination, Antony Funnell (presenter), 28 May 2023
- The Conversation, Social media snaps map the sweep of Japan’s cherry blossom season in unprecedented detail, AG Dyer, A Dorin, C Vlasveld, M ElQadi, Jun 2023
- ABC Radio National - Future Tense, Pollination technology is addressing declining insect populations, but not everyone's a fan, Sam Nichols (journalist), Aug 2023